I always admire other bloggers who post their “goals” for the month. I did the ONCE. Yes. one time and it was like 2 years ago – and who knows if I even remotely came close to accomplishing them. Let’s just go with probably not. I’ve been really trying to push myself with writing so why not set some goals, right?
My goals.. For August…
|This is the dirt pile in our front yard…|
1. Landscaping. We have been working on this landscaping since we moved in. Last summer I pulled a ton of pavers out of the front yard with the hopes to plant grass by fall. That never happened and this is what our front yard looks like now. (I cannot wait for another year to show the ENTIRE progression of start to finish!). Didn’t quite get to this but are starting THIS weekend!
2. Running. My running has been so limited because of my back injury. However, I can start running again (slowly) by adding some biking and other low impact activities. I only have 1 race scheduled for August and it’s a 5K this weekend (Gopher to Badger). Last year I was in top shape and ran a great 1/2. This year I’ll be cheering on all the runners looking forward to my next one! (Which I swore last year was my last… but hoping to do Grandma’s in 2018 and MAYBE gopher to badger 2017?!) Ran Gopher to Badger 5K and didn’t have my best run 🙁
3. Cleaning/Organizing/eBaying. I am a clothes hoarder. This has been a bit of a revelation as I’ve gained and lost (and gained) weight. I cover up with new clothes. So I’m slowly paring down my closet and selling my shit high quality clothes (several with tags) that I couldn’t live without and have never worn 🙂 Typical, right? DID it. Got rid of a ton of stuff!
4. Weddings. Not mine. HA HA HA. Two of them. One which happens to be on my favorite weekend of the year. Adam is in one so we’ll be doing wedding festivities all weekend the last weekend in August. They will both be fun 🙂 handled. One I spent two days recovering from.
5. Pub Crawling. Erin Adams’s Hargrove’s 10th Annual Polar Pub Crawl (North St Paul, MN) is this upcoming weekend. I can’t even handle that it’s been 10 years since she started her pub crawl. There have been a lot of fun memories, and some not so fun memories (headstands and card cheaters) okay that fits in both columns 🙂 We haven’t made it to all 10 but are really excited about making it this year. See Instagram. Had a blast!!
6. Pepper Fest. See #4. My favorite weekend of the ENTIRE year is in North Hudson, WI. I grew up down the street from Pepper Fest and L-O-V-E going every single year!! This year will be cut short by a wedding …ahem… please be considerate and check a calendar next year folks… j/k. Parades, Italian Food, Beer, Music, and old friends! What more could you ask for? (Pepper Eating Contest, Spaghetti eating contest, a 5k/10K race, rides for the kids, bags tournaments… ) Seriously, one of the best summer get togethers around!! Only made it to the parade this year.
7. Help Dad. Dad is having knee replacement surgery August 15th.. So while he’s pretty humble about his health and what’s going on, he is going to need his army behind him for this one! While I’ll be covering most days and a few nights, the rest of the family will be helping as well. So grateful for all that he has done for us and am so happy to be able to give back and help him 🙂 Did this! He is recovering like a champ!
|Grandpa and George taking Sam for a walk|
8. Unpack. Seriously. We STILL have boxes at Adam’s parents… and we STILL have several unpacked boxes in our basement. I think until we actually paint and get each room the way we like it, we will have boxes of stuff just waiting to make its debut! I tackled TWO WHOLE boxes this month. Hoping for more next month!
9. Go to Church. I am baptized and confirmed Catholic but have never felt as connected as I once was in Arizona (99-01). I recently went to a funeral (good time to think about your Faith) and admired how connected the Pastor is to the community. The following Sunday George and I went to service and the minute we sat down, the pastor walked over and introduced himself. I felt welcomed and knew that was where I needed to be. George and I have been going to church the past few weekends there and plan to continue going. This one sadly fell by the wayside.
10. Be in the moment. That was last week’s church message. Just appreciate where you are when you are there. Put the phone down. Put your tablet down. Put any and all distractions aside and simply live in that moment. How often do we meet a friend for coffee, or take our kids to the park only to find ourselves with our heads buried in our phones or thinking about something else? I AM SO GUILTY!!! I am trying to simply put my phone down and enjoy a few minutes of whatever it is I’m doing. Simply be. Oh how I need to remember this one.
11. Live in front of the Camera. I read a blog post another woman wrote, where she recognized that she was capturing all of her children’s milestone moments but was never visible in any of them. She was behind the camera. There was nothing to show that while the child blew out his birthday candles and opened presents she was there. She was taking the pictures. This hit home with me. I was looking for a recent picture of myself with George and my storage is maxed out but none of them have me in them. So when I stumbled upon this it truly spoke to me. My goal is to post one picture a day for the next 365 on my Instagram Account. Go check out my Instagram (shameless plug) @upnorthmama1 for my daily post of in front of the camera! While I didn’t get a post in every day, I am definitely better about being in front of the camera now!
|Dinner selfie – no filter, unedited.|